On Friday March 5, 2010, after reports that President Obama might change course and use military commissions, rather than federal courts, to prosecute the 9/11 defendants – a big mistake – HRF quickly mobilized some voices of reason for a press call.
The call featured HRF CEO & President Elisa Massimino and three members of a distinguished group of retired military leaders, with whom we have been working for years to end torture and close Guantanamo.
- Debate Flares Anew on Civil vs. Military Terror Trial New York Times, March 5, 2010
- Terrorism trial creates political problem for Obama Los Angeles Times, March 5, 2010
- Obama Administration Considers Trying 9/11 Suspects in Military Tribunal Wall Street Journal, March 5, 2010
- Gen. Nash: Don’t Let Fearmongers ‘Drive Us Away From Doing the Right Thing’ Washington Independent, March 5, 2010
- Rights groups slam rumors of Obama flip on KSM trial Washington Times, March 6, 2010
- Possible KSM Trial Move Draws Backlash, CBS News, March 5, 2010
- Obama Aides Still Reviewing Moving Sept. 11 Trial From New York, Bloomberg Business Week, March 5, 2010
- Rights groups warn Obama on 9/11 trial U-turn, AFP, March 5, 2010
Call the White House today to urge the President to not make this wrong decision. And spread the word!