March 23, 2017
Guantanamo by the Numbers
- Detainees currently held at Guantánamo: 41.
- Total number of detainees ever incarcerated at Guantánamo: 780.
- Detainees released under President Bush: Over 500.
- Detainees at start of Obama Presidency: 242.
- Detainees transferred, repatriated or resettled under Obama: 197.
- Detainees transferred to U.S. for prosecution: 1.
- Detainees who died in custody since January 2009: 4.
- Number of current detainees imprisoned for more than 10 years: 38 (93 percent of total population).
- Remaining detainees approved for release: 5.
- Yemenis approved for transfer: 1.
- Detainees convicted by military commission and still held at Guantánamo: 3.
- Detainees Trump Administration is currently trying in military commissions: 7. Though the Pentagon may only plan to prosecute 14 detainees in total, including those currently in pre-trial hearings.
- Detainees Trump Administration is holding for indefinite detention without charge or trial: 26.
- Number of countries that have accepted Guantánamo detainees: 59.
- Yearly cost to U.S. taxpayers of a prisoner in a maxium security federal prison: Approximately $78,000.
- Yearly cost to hold each detainee at Guantánamo: More than $10 million.
- Annual cost to operate Guantánamo: Approximately $445 million.
Federal Courts & Challenges to Military Commissions
- Federal court convictions since 9/11 on terrorism-related charges: More than 500.
- Detainees convicted by GTMO military commission: 8.
- GTMO military commissions convictions overturned: 3 completely, 1 partially.
- Detainees prosecuted in U.S. federal courts: 1 -- Ahmed Ghailani.
- Detainees federal courts have determined were being held unlawfully: 32.
- Detainees who have lost their habeas corpus petitions challenging their detention: 21.
- Times military commissions have been re-vamped: 2. The third iteration has not been reviewed by the Supreme Court.
- Cases involving detainee rights that have gone before the U.S. Supreme Court: 4.
- Times Supreme Court Justices have sided with the detainees: 4.
Federal Prisons Holding Terrorists
- Those convicted of terrorism-related charges being held in U.S. prisons: 443.
- Those convicted of terrorism-related charges who have escaped from any part of the federal prison system: 0.
Deaths in Custody
- Detainees who have died at Guantánamo: 9.
- First detainees brought to Guantánamo: January 11, 2002.
- Last known arrival: March 14, 2008.
- Last known departure: January 19, 2017.
- Date military commissions first established, by military order: November 13, 2001.
- Bounties paid by Bush Administration to anyone who would hand over a possible terror suspect: $3,000 to $25,000.