Statement for the Record of Human Rights First: The Syrian Refugee Crisis
In a statement on January 7, 2014 to the Senate Judiciary Committee Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Human Rights, Human Rights First recommended ways for the United States to champion the protection of those fleeing the Syrian conflict. The statement draws from research gained during Human Rights First’s recent trip to Turkey and Jordan and comes as the committee gathers for a hearing on “The Syrian Refugee Crisis.”
The statement for the record also includes recommendations for the U.S. government to show leadership in the Syrian refugee crisis. These include:
- Pressing states to lift barriers to protection and supporting meaningful border monitoring.
- Stepping up support to refugee-hosting states.
- Strengthening support for refugees outside camps.
- Increasing support for host communities through development aid.
- Encouraging countries to make work authorization and education more accessible.